Vitamin E is required for the proper function of many organs. It is also a powerful antioxidant, which means it helps reduce cellular damage caused by free radicals (naturally occurring substances which break down healthy cells and lead to aging and disease). As an antioxidant, vitamin E has multiple health benefits:
- Protects cells against free radical damage.
- Boosts immune system.
- Reduces inflammation within the body.
- Vitamin E also thins the blood by preventing blood platelets from clumping, which can aid in cardiovascular health. Additionally, it:
- Can strengthen capillary walls and aid in improving moisture and elasticity of skin.
- May help improve muscle strength and physical endurance.
- Can help decrease effects of PMS and lessen painful menstruation.
- May reduce chances of sunburn by helping protect skin against inflammation after exposure to UV radiation, when taken with vitamin C.
You can increase your vitamin E levels by snacking on sunflower seeds, peanuts, almonds, or hazelnuts, or by adding wheat germ or wheat germ oil to cereal, smoothies, or sauces. Mangoes, avocados, and butternut squash are also good sources of E, as are vegetable oils. Applying vitamin E oil to your skin will help heal scars and boost skin softness.
If you want to take a vitamin E supplement, our organic Movita women’s multivitamin provides 100% of the U.S. RDA for adults. Because vitamin E is fat-soluble, it’s often recommended to take supplements with food; however, due to the fermentation process used in the production of Movita, our supplements can also be taken on an empty stomach. Vitamin E can interact with some cholesterol –lowering drugs, and can adversely affect blood clotting, so you may not want to take it if you are taking certain kinds of prescription medicines, are on a blood thinner, or are planning or recovering from surgery. Be sure to talk to your doctor before taking vitamin E in a supplement to make sure it is right for you.
Movita is a whole-food vitamin and mineral supplement made with organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs. It is gluten-free, dairy and egg-free, and allergen-free for shellfish and nuts. For more information on Movita, visit www.movitaorganics.com.