With the end of the season comes the pinnacle of summer bounty — tables at farmers’ markets heaped with vegetables all colors of the rainbow, from yellow zucchini and red peppers to purple eggplant, delicious dark leafy greens and tomatoes in every heirloom shade.
The health and beauty benefits of this diet are so desirable it’s gaining fans across all demographics from superstars like Beyoncé and Sir Paul McCartney to athletes like Venus Williams and much of the NFL, (and regular folks like us!). Choosing forks over knives is easier and more delicious than ever, and the effects speak for themselves:
Health Benefits Of A Vegetarian Diet:
- Easy way to manage healthy weight
- Reduced risk of heart disease and cancer
- Healthier eyes, better vision and less macular degeneration
- Improved digestive health
- To say nothing of the benefits to the environment and animals by choosing a plant-based diet
Call To Action: Give It A Try!
This week skip meat for just one meal per day. Through this simple practice you will not only get to experience eating this way, but will immediately begin reaping the benefits. And if you’re already a vegetarian, this week you might try some new recipes or discover new aspects of the science and nutrition of this lifestyle.
So – what do we mean by “vegetarian”?
- red meat, pork, poultry, fish and shellfish are excluded
- eggs and dairy can be included
- a Vegan diet is one that also excludes dairy and eggs (and you’re welcome to explore this as well!)
But watch out, it’s easy to be an unhealthy vegetarian: just eat nothing but processed foods or “empty calories” from white flours etc. So our emphasis is going to be on healthy, nutrient-dense and flavorful!
This week for one meal a day, simply have your lunch salad with no chicken on top, or granola instead of bacon in the morning. Opt for pasta primavera instead of Bolognese or veggie lentil soup instead of a burger.
Share your tips, tricks and recipes below and let us know how YOU explored getting HEALTHY this week.
Bon Appetit and Happy Foraging!